Tuesday, June 06, 2006

BOOK REVIEW OF "A RADIO STORY" by DAVID YONKI.....from Pa. Radio Info Subject: A RADIO STORY We wish you well in your future endeavors. Posted by: mrsweep Posts: 37 Status: Offline Posted on: 07/24/05 07:18 PM Some notes about Yonkstur's Book... Here's what I think. David has written an interesting book, the story of Jake Yanik. The man led a remarkable life. And David placed him amid a cast of memorable characters in his personal and business life. I was intrigued by Jake's personal life and the way he campaigned for and managed the women he had relationships with. However, is the basic premise of Yanik\'s relationship style believable. In the real world, I don't know anyone who was more attracted to the chase than the ultimate conquest. But our author presents Jake and his thrill of the chase in a way that the whole idea is food for thought. On the other hand David's fiction about NEPA\ radio business was peopled with familiar character's. People, or parts of people, many of us know and deal with even today. David presents his view of the out of market corporate takeover of local radio stations and the changes that might occur if management was focused only on the bottom line. If fact, we may have already had that story here in real life. So the plot rings true. David tells a lot of story in just over three hundred pages. His writing sticks to the plot and presents dialog while he leaves out pages of description another writer might have included. I found the sparse descriptive style enjoyable to read. The book is best when the story has some action. Maybe it's a guy thing, but the finale of the Super Bowl Party sequence and the soda dispenser scene in the radio station parking lot both were fun to read and easy to see in the mind's eye. And there are a few plot twists, so read carefully. The story had a lot of characters. I almost needed a scorecard to keep everyone straight, particularly in the work place sequences where the characters were so familiar. I know it's fiction and any resemblance to a person living or deceased is purely coincidental (official disclaimer), but there were enough coincidences to make the book interesting, and distracting on a whole different level. I was translating the book character's name to a person he or she could represent in our area and the whole process was making me a little nuts. I expect a reader who has no contact with David's inspirations, would not find the similarities as distracting. On the other hand, I was reading to see if I snuck in there somewhere. Writing a novel is a major undertaking. David deserves kudos for the book. I found it a fun summer read. And I thank David for securing me a copy, while other posters to this board have had some challenges securing a copy for themselves. When David picks up a pen to write his next story, I wish him well in that endeavor. And I'll make a point of reading that book, too. What do you think? [ Report this post to a moderator ]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home